Unforgettable Chicken Casserole
Unforgettable Chicken Casserole is truly a delightful dish for people who like crunchy foods. Featuring chicken, chopped celery, chopped water chestnuts and slivered or sliced almonds and topped with French fried onion rings, Unforgettable Chicken Casserole provides maximum crunchiness! The main ingredients are bound together with a mixture of sour cream, mayonnaise and cream of chicken soup.
Reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup and light versions of sour cream and mayonnaise may be used in this recipe without affecting the quality of this dish. If you don’t have time to cook some chicken, pick up a rotisserie chicken from your grocer to use in this casserole.
I’ve had this recipe for some time, in fact, it was featured in the December 2004 issue of Southern Living contributed by Kay Regnier of Winterville, North Carolina. Thanks, Kay, this one’s definitely a “keeper!”
Preheat the oven to 350°F. and grease or spray an 11-inch X 7-inch baking dish. Place the chicken, celery, Cheddar cheese, almonds and water chestnuts in a large bowl. Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise and cream of chicken soup in a smaller bowl and mix together well.
Add the sour cream mixture to the chicken mixture and mix until well combined. Spoon into a baking dish.
Bake at 350°F. for 40 minutes. Sprinkle onion rings over the top of the casserole evenly. Return Unforgettable Chicken Casserole to the oven for 5 more minutes or until bubbly around the edges. Let casserole stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- 3 cups Chicken, chopped (Can use rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups Celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Almonds, slivered or sliced
- 1 (4-oz.) can Water Chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 1/2 cups French Fried Onion Rings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease or spray with cooking spray an 11-inch X 7-inch baking pan.
- Mix sour cream, mayonnaise and cream of chicken soup together in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, celery, Cheddar cheese, almonds and water chestnuts.
- Add sour cream mixture to the chicken mixture and mix until well combined.
- Spoon mixture into the baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle French fried onion rings evenly over the top of the casserole and bake for 5 more minutes, until bubbly around the edges.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Low sodium cream of chicken soup, light sour cream and light mayonnaise may be used without affecting the quality of this dish.
Casseroles are a staple at family gatherings, church socials and pot-luck suppers as well as appearing on our everyday menus frequently. To my way of thinking, casseroles fall into the “comfort food” category as they usually are just simple fare – a source of protein, some vegetables, often some cheese, perhaps something crunchy like nuts and a binder in some form of liquid or other substance to hold everything together.
Unforgettable Chicken Casserole is great reheated the next day so don’t be afraid the recipe is too large for 2 people. This casserole is so delightful that you won’t have to worry about leftovers! Bake an Unforgettable Chicken Casserole soon and please those at your table with a distinctive treat!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
If you’d like to receive new Silver Foodie Posts automatically, please enter your e-mail address under Silver Foodie Updates on the sidebar. Then click on “Sign up.” Thank you.
For a list of Link Parties in which I participate weekly, just go to the header menu and click on “Link Parties.”