Today is National Taco Day! How appropriate that the recipe I’d like to share with you today is Taco Skillet Burgers!
While having lunch with a friend at her mother’s house a few years ago, I was introduced to Taco Skillet Burgers. My friend’s mother served it with Mexican cornbread and I thought it was a really enjoyable meal! I came across the recipe recently and made it for my husband who really liked it, too.
Taco Skillet Burgers are burgers made of ground beef or ground turkey, spiced with taco seasoning mix, sauced with bean with bacon soup and topped with chopped tomatoes and shredded Cheddar cheese. This recipe offers a nice alternative to the standard hamburger or turkey burger!
Taco Skillet Burgers Recipe
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 envelope (or 2 teaspoons) taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 (11 1/2 oz.) can condensed bean with bacon soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups corn chips
- In a bowl combine the egg, milk, bread crumbs, onion and taco seasoning.
- Add beef or turkey; mix well. Shape mixture into 6 patties.
- In large lightly greased skillet brown the patties on both sides.
- Mix soup and water; spoon over meat.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Top with tomatoes and cheese, heat covered, 3 minutes longer.
- Serve with corn chips.
A taco is a traditional Mexican dish composed of a corn or wheat tortilla rolled or folded around a filling. In this recipe, the Taco Skillet Burgers are served with corn chips or tortilla chips instead of being wrapped in a tortilla. Tacos are often eaten without utensils but Taco Skillet Burgers will require a fork as the bean with bacon soup dribbles over the side of the burgers!
Taco Seasoning Mix Recipe
In case you don’t have any taco seasoning on hand, you can make your own and save a trip to the grocery store. Here’s the recipe:
- 4 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.
- Recipe may be doubled or tripled if more taco seasoning is desired.
I hope you’ll try this recipe soon and Happy National Taco Day!
How do you celebrate National Taco Day?
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
*If you’d like to receive future Silver Foodie posts automatically, please enter your e-mail address in the space under “Silver Foodie Updates” on the right sidebar, then click “Sign up.” Thank you!
For a list of link parties with whom I share recipes weekly, please click on “Link Parties” on the header menu bar, or scroll down the right sidebar.