It is my aspiration to share with you some recipes and ideas that will make eating more enjoyable as you face some age-related factors that may affect your eating habits.
Age-Related Factors that may affect eating habits in older adults are:
- metabolism slows down while the need for nutrients increase
- senses of taste and smell diminish
- dental conditions affect the ability to chew certain foods
- swallowing difficulties may arise with certain medical conditions
- various medical conditions and the physical challenges of aging may affect appetite and the ability to eat
- medications have side effects that may affect our eating
- limited incomes may change what foods are readily available
- new living conditions may bring changes in how and what we eat
- depression and grief can impact appetite
A loss of appetite may result when one experiences no pleasure from eating, leading to weight loss and less-than-optimal health which can set in motion a downhill spiral to illness and disease.
I’ve been experimenting with what I refer to as Flavor Intensifiers to add more zest and taste to recipes to enhance one’s enjoyment of them.
- Spices – fresh, dried whole and dried ground
- Herbs – fresh and dried
- Extracts and flavorings
- Seasoned salts and seasoning mixes
- Flavored oils
- Flavored vinegars
- Marinades, rubs and brines
- Flavored coffees and teas
- Citrus juices and zest
- Flavored mustards
- Other foods
We need to add intense flavors to our food to combat our lessened ability to taste.
I plan to address most of these issues in my posts.
Remember to Savor the Flavor!