Fall French Apple Cranberry Pie combines two of fall’s favorite flavors – apples and cranberries – baked in a pie crust and topped with a brown sugar-butter-flour crumb topping! My friend Jennifer gave me this recipe and I’ve tweaked it just a bit. I added cranberries because I like the pop of tartness contrasted with the sweetness of the apples! Jennifer prefers to use Rome Beauties in her pie recipe. I used Gala apples because that’s what I had in my refrigerator!
I added a teaspoon of lemon juice to the apples to keep them from darkening in color prior to baking them. This is totally optional. I also cut down the sugar in the filling to 1/3 cup from 2/3 cup listed in the original recipe.
Recipe for French Apple Cranberry Pie
- 1 unbaked 9" pie shell
- 6 - 7 cups sliced apples (peeled & cored)
- 3/4 cup cranberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Combine apples, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, flour and lemon juice (if using) and mix well.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Make topping by combining flour, butter and brown sugar with a fork until crumbly.
- Bake pie at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes, then turn down the temperature to 350 degrees F. and bake for another 20-30 minutes or until top of pie is golden brown.
Did You Know?
Apple Pie was brought to the colonies by the British, Dutch and Swedes during the 17th and 18th Centuries.
When fresh apples were not available early settlers used dried apples to make their apple pies.
Mock Apple Pie was made from Ritz Crackers, along with sugar and various spices, as far back as the 1930’s. Mock Apple Pie was probably invented for use aboard ships, as it was known to the British Navy as early as 1812.
Although apple pies have been eaten since long before the European colonization of the Americas, “as American as apple pie” is a saying in the United States meaning “typically American.”
The dish was also commemorated in the phrase “for Mom and apple pie” – supposedly the standard answer of American soldiers in World War II whenever they were asked why they were going to war.
Some folks like their apple pie “a la mode” – usually meaning with a scoop of vanilla ice cream while others like their apple pie with a piece of cheese.
Mrs. Smith’s did a nationwide poll a few years ago and found that 47% of Americans prefer Apple Pie and an additional 25% preferred Apple Crumb Pie for a total of 72% of all the varieties of pies available here!
If you need a recipe for pie crust please click here to go to my post on Decadently Delicious Kahlua Pecan Pie. In the same post there is a video that shows how to crimp pie crust to make it look really nice!
I hope you’ll make this wonderful French Apple Cranberry Pie sometime during the fall months when fresh apples are so abundant and so tasty!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
*If you’d like to receive new posts from Silver Foodie automatically, please enter your e-mail address in the space under “Silver Foodie Updates” on the right sidebar. Then click on “Sign up.” Thank you!
For a list of Link Parties in which I participate weekly, please click on “Link Parties” on the header menu bar or scroll down the right sidebar.