Easy Cheesy Enchilada Pie is chock full of wonderful ingredients like black olives, mild green chilies, corn, ground turkey or ground beef, onion, red bell pepper, tomatoes, cumin, corn or flour tortillas, enchilada sauce and grated cheese! Baked in an 8″ round pan, Easy Cheesy Enchilada Pie may be cut into slices for serving, like pie! I find this dish to be quite satisfying and whenever I take it to a social event, I come home with an empty pan so I’m sure others like it, too!
The Recipe – Easy Cheesy Enchilada Pie
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (14.5 oz. can) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup corn
- 3/4 cup pitted sliced black olives
- 4 (8-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- 8 ounces grated or shredded four cheese Mexican blend
- Spray pan spray or grease a round 3-quart casserole baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onions and saute 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add ground meat and cook, breaking up chunks, for 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle with cumin, add tomatoes, enchilada sauce & chopped green chilies.
- Stir until simmering, then simmer 10 minutes to develop flavors. Remove from heat and stir in corn and olives.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To assemble: Line bottom of baking dish with 2 tortillas.
- Top with half of the filling and about 1/3 of the cheese.
- Top with another tortilla, the remaining filling, half the remaining cheese, then the remaining tortilla.
- Cover casserole with lid or foil and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake 10 minutes longer until cheese melts and filling bubbles.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.
- Serve with accompaniments.
- Accompaniments: Sour Cream, Salsa, Shredded Lettuce, Chopped Tomatoes, Chopped Avocado, Chopped Green Onions
Chopping the onions and red bell pepper is the most time-consuming part of preparing Easy Cheesy Enchilada Pie! Once chopped, the onions and red bell pepper are sautéed in olive oil until tender.
The ground meat is added to the skillet and cooked until no long pink. Next the cumin, tomatoes, enchilada sauce and chopped green chilies are added and simmered for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Black olives and corn are added to the mixture after removing it from the heat.
To assemble Easy Cheesy Enchilada Pie, place 2 tortillas in the bottom of the baking dish. Top with half of the filling and about 1/3 of the grated cheese. Top with another tortilla, the remaining filling, half the remaining cheese, then the remaining tortilla.
Cover the casserole with foil and bake for 30 minutes; then uncover, add the remaining cheese and bake 10 minutes longer. Let the dish stand for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges.
Serve with your choice of accompaniments such as sour cream, shredded lettuce, chopped green onions, chopped avocado, chopped tomatoes and salsa.
I used frozen white shoe peg corn in the preparation of this recipe, but canned corn may be used as well.
Individualize this recipe to suit your family’s food preferences. Choose either ground turkey or ground beef and either flour tortillas or corn tortillas to make Easy Cheesy Enchilada Pie more to your liking! If you’d like more “heat” add some chili powder, cayenne pepper or tabasco.
A simple and delicious dish, Easy Cheesy Enchilada Pie is sure to please!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
*If you’d like to receive new Silver Foodie posts as soon as they are published, please enter your e-mail address in the space under “Silver Foodie Updates” on the right sidebar, then click “Sign up.” Thank You!
For a list of Link Parties in which I participate weekly, click on “Link Up” on the header menu bar.