Chicken Feta Tostadas
Chicken Feta Tostadas are baked tortillas topped with chicken, feta cheese and other ingredients that have been marinated in red wine vinegar and olive oil before being added to the tortillas. The other ingredients include chopped Roma tomatoes, chopped parsley and chopped black olives. Chicken Feta Tostadas give a fresh Greek twist to Mexican tortillas!
Immersing food in a marinade for a period of time is a great way to give food a flavor boost. In the recipe for Chicken Feta Tostadas the marinade is red wine vinegar (an acid), olive oil and spices. For more on marinades you may wish to read my post on Marinades as Flavor Intensifiers at http://www.silverfoodie.com/2015/07/25/marinades-as-flavor-intensifiers/.
The Lunch Doldrums
I must confess that I have recently had “menu fatigue” in regards to lunch. Too often we have sandwiches with the same fillings: ham and cheese, egg salad, sliced turkey and cheese, chicken salad, tuna salad, BLT’s, grilled cheese, pimento cheese and REPEAT! Not that there’s anything wrong with any of these sandwiches but I just get tired of the same things and desire something new. This summer I’ve decided to expand my lunch menu rotation to include something other than sandwiches and perhaps cure my case of “menu fatigue.”
Supper (or dinner depending on where you live) is a different story. I often try new dishes at our evening meal. But I definitely need to escape from the “comfort zone” of sandwiches and add some new dishes to the noon meal plan!
The Recipe for Chicken Feta Tostadas
- 1/4 pound Roma (plum) tomatoes
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound roasted chicken (boneless)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing tortillas
- 8 small or 4 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound feta cheese
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, parsley, chicken, salt, pepper, vinegar and 3 tablespoons oil.
- Brush the tortillas on both sides with oil and then put them on baking sheets, overlapping if necessary.
- Bake the tortillas until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the tortillas and brown the other side, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and top each tortilla with an equal amount of feta cheese. Return the baking sheets to the oven; cook until the cheese is just melting, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Top the tortillas with the chicken mixture.
- A fruit salad or fresh fruit would be an easy and complementary accompaniment.
If you’re short on time, use rotisserie chicken from your local grocery store. For this recipe, I cooked the chicken quickly by first cutting several chicken breasts into cubes, sprinkling them with some spices (cumin, garlic salt and Montreal steak seasoning) and cooking them in my stovetop grill pan, which I use frequently.
The chicken for the Chicken Feta Tostadas could be grilled outdoors, roasted or stewed. The chicken may be shredded also. I didn’t shred the chicken since it was already cut in small cubes.
I used a pizza cutter to cut the Chicken Feta Tostadas into 4 pieces for serving. Large “Burrito-sized” tortillas were used in this recipe but use the size you wish. A small tortilla would probably be easier for a child to manage and eat.
A menu suggestion to complement the Chicken Feta Tostadas would be to serve fresh fruit or fruit salad as an accompaniment.
Try something new for lunch soon – especially if you’re in the “Lunch Doldrums” like me!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
*If you’d like to receive new Silver Foodie posts automatically, please enter your e-mail address in the space under “Silver Foodie” then click on “Sign up.” Thank you!
For a list of Link Parties in which I participate weekly, click on “Link Parties” on the header menu bar.