What is Husky Delight?
Husky Delight is a casserole, named after the University of Connecticut athletic teams, the Huskies! Husky Delight is a hearty, satisfying casserole of ground beef or turkey, tomato sauce, egg noodles, sour cream, cream cheese, chopped onions, green chilies and cheese.
I’ve always enjoyed looking at magazines and copying recipes that sound good to me and I bet you do that, too! During my years as a dietitian in various healthcare facilities, I liked to look at recipes in some of the magazines that came to the Food Service Manager, such as Food Management and Food & Institutions. These magazines were specifically for food service and the recipes were “quantity” recipes which could yield anywhere from 25-100 servings. Occasionally the quantity recipes would also include a smaller version of the recipe.
The recipe for Husky Delight was one that residents of a long-term care facility where I worked seemed to enjoy. A Food Service Director or Manager from the University of Connecticut sent in this recipe to one of these food service magazines and our Food Service Manager added it to the menu. The recipe for Husky Delight has been adapted for home use by decreasing and changing a few of the ingredients.
The steps to making Husky Delight are first to brown ground beef or turkey in a skillet. Add garlic powder, salt, sugar and pepper as well as tomato sauce after the meat has browned. Pour off any grease from the meat before adding the other ingredients.
Cover the meat mixture and allow it to simmer for 15 minutes. While the beef is cooking, cook the noodles according to package directions.
In a bowl, combine sour cream, cream cheese, onions and green chilies. (I used green onions the day I took these photos.)
Grease or use pan spray on a 2-quart casserole dish. Place a layer of noodles on the bottom of the casserole dish.
Add the meat sauce on top of the noodles.
Add the cream cheese mixture on top of the meat sauce and top with cheese of your choice. The original recipe called for Parmesan cheese but I used some sliced Provolone that I had on hand in the photo.
Bake at 350°F. for 30 minutes until Husky Delight becomes bubbly.
Here’s the printable recipe:
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 (8-oz. can) tomato sauce
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped onions (or green onions)
- 1 (2-ounce) can mild green chilies
- Parmesan cheese or other cheese to top the casserole
- In a skillet brown meat; drain grease. Add garlic powder, salt, sugar, tomato sauce and pepper. Mix together and cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- While beef is cooking, cook noodles according to package directions. Drain & set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, onion and green chilies.
- Butter or use pan spray on the inside of a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Place a layer of noodles on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Add the meat sauce on top of the noodles.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the meat sauce.
- Top with Parmesan cheese or cheese of your choice.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes, until bubbly.
Husky Delight is a recipe in which you can vary the ingredients to your choosing. Instead of noodles, use your favorite pasta. Use your favorite cheese instead of Parmesan, or use what you have on hand. The sour cream and cream cheese give this recipe a creamy richness. Husky Delight is a great casserole to take to family gatherings, church socials or pot-luck suppers and to add as a “comfort food” entrée to your menu rotation for the month! Make some Husky Delight soon!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
*If you’d like to receive new Silver Foodie posts automatically, please enter your e-mail address under Silver Foodie on the right sidebar. Then click on “Sign up” Thank you!
For a list of link parties in which I participate weekly, click on “Link Parties” on the header menu.