Orange Bran Flax Muffins
Orange Bran Flax Muffins are a mouthwatering mix of flavors – oranges, brown sugar, and golden raisins in a mixture of oat bran, wheat bran and flaxseed. The oranges are quartered and seeded but not peeled. The whole oranges (minus the seeds) are put into a food processor! I was a bit hesitant to try this recipe when I first read it because I thought the orange flavor would be overwhelming but it isn’t. Orange Bran Flax Muffins have a wonderful orange flavor – in fact, this muffin tastes “healthy” and I mean that in a good way!
This recipe is from the Flax Council of Canada and Saskatchewan Flax Development Commission. The muffins are high in fiber which aids in keeping us older folks regular and the health benefits of flax are being studied. Flax seeds are particularly a rich source of lignans, and the discussion of their potential benefits is beyond the scope of this post.
I do know that this is a delicious and satisfying muffin. The recipe for Orange Bran Flax Muffins yields 24 muffins so there will be extras that you can freeze and pull out for breakfast or whenever you want a healthy treat!
Two 12-cup muffin tins are needed to make this recipe. In a large bowl, the oat bran, flour, wheat bran, flaxseed, baking powder and salt are combined. The oranges, brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs and baking soda are combined in a food processor or blender and blended well.
The orange mixture is poured into the dry ingredients and stirred until the dry ingredients are moistened. The golden raisins are added.
The batter is portioned into the muffin tins and baked at 375°F. for 18-20 minutes. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
Then enjoy the fruits of your labor!
- 1 1/2 cup Oat Bran
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Flaxseed
- 1 cup Wheat Bran
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 Oranges, quartered and seeded
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 cups Golden Raisins
- Preheat oven to 357 degrees F. Coat 2 muffin tins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oat bran, flour, flaxseed, wheat bran, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine oranges, brown sugar, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and baking soda. Blend well.
- Pour orange mixture into dry ingredients. Mix until well-blended. Stir in raisins.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- The oranges are quartered and seeded before adding them to the blender or food processor but they are not peeled.
Muffins in General
Muffins are one of my favorite foods – there are few muffins that I don’t enjoy. I have more recipes for muffins than I can probably count. Last year I did a series I dubbed “Muffin Mania” with 3 parts. Here’s a list of muffin recipes that you can access by clicking on the name:
Applesauce Spice Muffins
Cheddar Cheese Muffins
Morning Glory Muffins
Nutty Apple Muffins
Cappucino Muffins with Mocha Spread
Cranberry Almond Muffins
Chef Paul’s Southern Biscuit Muffins
Peabody Hotel Vanilla Muffins
Try some muffins soon and brighten up your day and your mood!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
If you’d like to receive new Silver Foodie posts when they come out, please complete the information on the right sidebar under “Silver Foodie Updates.”
For a list of link parties in which I participate, please click on “Link Parties” on the header menu.