A Restaurant Appetizer
Whether you’re watching a football game or Downton Abbey on TV, it’s nice to have a few snacks around to munch on that don’t require a great deal of time and effort. Years ago I used to go to a restaurant where Kidney Bean Relish with Ritz crackers was served to their customers as soon as they were seated, probably to take the edge off their hunger and keep them happy until their food order was served! I really liked Kidney Bean Relish and found a recipe that is very similar if not the actual recipe used by this restaurant.
Kidney Bean Relish – Easy and Quick
Kidney Bean Relish is simple to make and uses items you probably have in your pantry and refrigerator right now. First, a can of red kidney beans are rinsed well with water, drained and dried on a paper towel.
Next, chop a small onion until very fine – I used my mini food processor to do this. Chop one clove of garlic also.
Mix together the beans, onion, and garlic with the remaining ingredients: mayonnaise, dry mustard, white horseradish, sweet relish and Worcestershire sauce.
Mix well and chill for several hours. Serve with Ritz crackers or your favorite crackers.
- 1 15.5-oz. can red kidney beans (approximately 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or ground
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped or mashed
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Dash dry mustard
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white horseradish
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- Salt and Pepper to your taste
- Rinse beans and drain. Pat beans dry with a paper towel. Add all ingredients together and mix well. Chill for several hours. Serve with Ritz crackers or your favorite cracker.
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
Happy New Year! Janet