An Ideal Appetizer / Hors D’oeuvres
Hot Mushroom Turnovers are ideal savory appetizers or hors d’oeuvres for holiday parties and other social events. A filling of minced mushrooms and onions mixed with sour cream and spiced with thyme are encased in a cream cheese pastry and baked until golden brown. Hot Mushroom Turnovers are half moon-shaped and look very attractive on a round serving platter and are really delicious served piping hot straight from the oven. Easy to chew, these savory turnovers are appropriate for those with oral and dental problems.
Hot Mushroom Turnovers also freeze well so they can be made ahead and frozen. They can go straight from the freezer to the oven, with just some additional baking time.
3 Steps to Preparing Flawless Hot Mushroom Turnovers
The goal to preparing these delicious turnovers is to make sure that all the mushroom-onion filling is sealed inside while they bake. There are 3 ways to accomplish this goal:
First, spoon the mushroom mixture onto only one half of each circle of dough.
Thirdly, fold the unfilled half of the circle over the filled half, then use a fork to firmly seal the edges together.
The Pastry: Cream cheese, flour and butter are mixed together until smooth.
The mixture is shaped into a ball, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for 1 hour.
The Filling: While the dough is chilling the filling can be prepared. Butter is melted over medium heat in a 10″ skillet to which minced mushrooms and onions are added.
When the mushrooms and onions are tender, sour cream, salt, thyme and flour are stirred into the mixture. Set aside.
Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator. Roll half of the dough to 1/8″ thickness on a floured surface. Cut out as many circles as possible with a 2 3/4″ round cookie cutter. (I use a glass to do this since I don’t have a cookie cutter this size and it works fine.) Repeat with the remaining half of the dough.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a teaspoon of the mushroom mixture on half of the dough circle. Brush edges with egg and fold the dough over the filling. With fork, firmly press edges together to seal; prick tops. Place turnovers on an ungreased baking sheet and brush with remaining egg. Bake 12 – 14 minutes until golden brown.
Below is the complete printable recipe:
- 1 8-oz. package Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup Butter, softened
- 1/2 pound Mushrooms, minced
- 1 large Onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Thyme Leaves
- 2 tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- About 2 hours before serving: In large bowl with mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese, flour and butter until smooth. Shape into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- In a 10" skillet over medium heat, in 3 tablespoons hot butter, cook mushrooms and onion until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream, salt, thyme and 2 tablespoons flour; set aside.
- On floured surface with floured rolling pin, roll half of the dough 1/8" thick. With floured 2 3/4" inch round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as possible. Repeat with other half of dough.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Onto one half of each dough circle, place a teaspoon of mushroom mixture. Brush edges of circles with some egg; fold dough over filling.
- With fork, firmly press edges together to seal; prick tops.
- Place turnovers on ungreased cookie sheet; brush with remaining egg.
- Bake 12 - 14 minutes until golden.
- If you don't have a 2 3/4" cookie cutter use a glass of the same size to cut out the circles of dough.
Future posts will be featuring more holiday foods so come back soon for another visit!
Have a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving and remember to Savor the Flavor!
If you would like to receive new Silver Foodie posts automatically, click here to complete the form that appears!
Participating in the following link parties: www.apinchofjoy, www.flourmewithlove, www.makeaheadmealsforbusymoms.com, www.stonegable.com, www.createwithjoy, http://thecraftyblogstalker.com, www.the-chicken-chick.com, www.huckleberrylove.com, www.karensuponthehill.com, http://mypinterventures.com, www.memoriesbythemile.com, http://rchreviews.com, http://cornerstoneconfessions.com, www.astrollthrulife.com, www.pintsizedbaker.com, http://nap-timecreations.com, www.hunwhatsfordinner.com, www.lovefromthekitchen.com, www.sewcraftyangel.blogspot.com, www.rosilindjukic.com, http://thenymelrosefamily.com, www.bunsinmyoven.com, http://mommyondemand.com, http://flusterbuster.com, www.lambertslately.com, www.nizhelenscountrycottage.com, http://katherinescorner.com, http://jannolson.blogspot.com, www.thevintagenestblog.com, www.adelightsomelife.com, http://itbakesmehappy.com, www.dadwhats4dinner.com, www.homemaidsimple.com,
www.designsbygollumblogspot.com, www.myturnforus.com, http://sunflowerssupperclub.com, www.thegirlcreative.com, www.thejennyevolution.com,
www.simplysweethome.com, www.thepinjunkie.com, www.frenchcountrycottage.net, www.littlemisscelebration.com, www.lifeonlakeshoredrive.com, http://blogghettie.com, http://funmoneymom.com, www.badgoddess.com, www.niftythriftythings.com, www.thoughtsfromalice.com, mother2motherblog.com, www.jembellish.blogspot.com, www.scatteredthoughtsofacraftymom.com, www.myuncommonsliceofsuburbia.com, www.flamingotoes.com