Mexican Lasagna is an appealing casserole dish containing ground beef or ground turkey cooked with onions, garlic, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. In place of lasagna noodles, Mexican Lasagna features corn tortillas. The Italian seasonings commonly found in Italian lasagna are replaced in this recipe with Taco Seasoning. (For how to make your own Taco Seasoning, click here.)
Diced mild green chilies add even more Mexican flavor to this dish which also contains ricotta cheese and eggs. After preparing Enchiladas Suizas for my previous post I had plenty of corn tortillas left to make another dish. I immediately thought of Mexican Lasagna – a recipe from Lawry’s California Center.
In addition to being delicious, Mexican Lasagna is simple and quick to prepare!
The first step in preparing Mexican Lasagna takes the most time, apart from baking the recipe. The ground beef or ground turkey must first be browned with the onions and garlic. After draining any fat off of the meat, add taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
While the meat sauce is simmering, the second step is to mix together the ricotta cheese with the eggs and mild green chilies. Thirdly, place six corn tortillas on the bottom of a greased 13″ x 9″ baking dish. Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle with half of the Monterey Jack cheese. Add half of the meat sauce on top of the cheese layer.
Add the remaining six corn tortillas, the rest of the ricotta cheese mixture and the remaining meat sauce on top of that. Sprinkle the remaining grated Monterey Jack cheese on top of the meat sauce layer. Finally, bake the Mexican Lasagna for 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned on top. Let the Mexican Lasagna sit for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
The Recipe for Mexican Lasagna
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt -OR- 1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 1/4 oz. taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 clove garlics, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chilies
- 8 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 12 corn tortillas
- 10 oz. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Brown ground beef or ground turkey with onions and garlic in a large skillet. Drain fat.
- Add seasoned salt, taco seasoning mix, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Blend well.
- Bring meat mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, eggs and green chilies.
- In bottom of a greased 13" x 9" baking dish place six corn tortillas.
- Spread half of the ricotta cheese mixture over the tortillas and top with half of the grated cheese.
- Spread half of the meat mixture over the cheese layer.
- Add remaining corn tortillas, remaining ricotta cheese mixture, remaining meat mixture and top with remaining grated cheese.
- Bake Mexican Lasagna at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- A nice alternative to Italian lasagna!
You can individualize this recipe to suit your family’s preferences. I used a Cheddar-Jack cheese combination instead of Monterey Jack cheese. In place of the seasoned salt I used Montreal Steak Seasoning. I added onions and garlic to the original recipe, which really improved the flavor. Next time I make Mexican Lasagna I plan to add some chopped bell pepper to the meat mixture as I think that would be tasty!
I believe this recipe for Mexican Lasagna would be a hit with family members of all ages. Since there is ground meat in the recipe those with oral or dental problems should be able to chew this casserole with no difficulty. Serving suggestions would be to add a green salad or vegetable to round out this meal. I served one of my favorites, Janet’s Broccoli Salad with the Mexican Lasagna.
Make some Mexican Lasagna soon! Your family and friends will really enjoy it!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
*If you’d like to receive new Silver Foodie posts automatically, please enter your e-mail address under “Silver Foodie Updates” on the right sidebar, then click “Sign up.” Thank you!
For a list of Link Parties in which I participate weekly, please click on “Link Parties” on the header menu bar or scroll down the right sidebar.