Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken is a slow cooker dish made with chicken breasts, sweet potatoes, dried cranberries, water chestnuts, pineapple tidbits, fresh ginger and other great spices! The original recipe included 2 tablespoons Caribbean Jerk seasoning. The first time I made Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken, serendipity (making a fortunate discovery accidentally) happened that day because I didn’t have any Caribbean Jerk seasoning in my cupboard! Most noteworthy is that I did have Garam Masala, an Indian spice I like and I substituted it for the Caribbean Jerk seasoning in this recipe. It was so delicious that I confess I have not prepared this recipe with Caribbean Jerk seasoning yet.
In addition I wanted to tell you about this substitution in case you would prefer to use the Caribbean Jerk seasoning in Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken when you make it. Or you could try making the recipe both ways to see which way you like it best! The sweet potatoes and pineapple tidbits just go together so well and fresh ginger is one of my favorite ingredients in any meat or chicken dish!
Furthermore, as you can see in the above photo, I tried fresh cranberries in Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken instead of dried cranberries. The dried cranberries are much better as the fresh cranberries were just too tart in this recipe, in my opinion. The water chestnuts give this dish such nice crunchiness, too!
The Recipe – Jamaica-Me-Crazy-Chicken
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 8-ounce can sliced (or diced) water chestnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple tidbits in their own juice
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons Caribbean Jerk seasoning (OR Garam Masala)
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Hot Cooked Rice
- Place sweet potatoes in a 4 or 5-quart slow cooker. Add water chestnuts and dried cranberries. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; add pineapple to slow cooker. Top with chicken. Sprinkle Jerk seasoning or garam masala over chicken.
- Combine the onion, ginger, Worcestershire sauce, lime peel and cumin with reserved juice. Pour over the chicken. Top with thyme sprigs.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Serve with rice.
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine and mix all ingredients together. Store in an airtight container.
- Good in any recipe requiring Jerk seasoning!
Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken is a wonderful slow cooker dish for any time of year! The results are chicken that is moist and juicy surrounded by a variety of flavors that seem to complement each other well.
If you’d like to try Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken with garam masala, click here for a recipe for homemade garam masala. Whichever spice you use in this dish, I hope you enjoy Jamaica-Me-Crazy Chicken!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
*If you’d like to receive new Silver Foodie posts automatically, please enter your e-mail address in the space under “Silver Foodie Updates” on the right side bar, then click “Sign up.” Thank you!
For a list of link parties in which I participate weekly please click on “Link Parties” on the header menu bar or scroll down the right sidebar.