Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole features broccoli, chopped cooked chicken and brown rice sauced with a mixture of cream of chicken soup with plain yogurt, flavored with lemon juice, cooking sherry and curry powder and topped with buttered panko bread crumbs. The original recipe for Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole is a retro recipe that I’ve updated and changed to make it a somewhat healthier version of the original recipe.
Ah! Comfort food! We all have certain foods, often memories from our childhoods, that give us great comfort. Food that provides a nostalgic or sentimental value specific to an individual or specific culture is considered comfort food.
Comfort food may be associated with the security of childhood but I don’t believe you have to be “stressed out” to desire comfort food. Soothing negative feelings may be one aspect of comfort foods but relishing comfort food could just be a desire for simpler, less sophisticated but tasty fare!
My idea of comfort food includes Macaroni and Cheese as well as Tuna Noodle Casserole. But the recipe I wish to share with you today also feels like comfort food to me, even though my mother never made this dish for us. I found the original recipe for Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole in my favorite cookbook from Viewmont Baptist Church in my hometown of Hickory, North Carolina.
Recipe for Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 2 (10-oz.) pkgs. frozen broccoli (or 1 head fresh)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup plain yogurt (Greek is good)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Steam broccoli until tender. Place broccoli, chicken and brown rice in 9" x 11" casserole dish. Combine soup, yogurt, lemon juice, sherry and curry powder and mix well.
- Pour over casserole ingredients.
- Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over top of casserole.
- Mix Panko bread crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle crumbs over top of casserole.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25-35 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned.
The original recipe specified two cans of cream of chicken soup which I reduced to one can. In place of the mayonnaise in the original recipe I used non-fat plain Greek yogurt, which gave the finished dish a nice tanginess. I added sherry to the mixture and used Panko bread crumbs instead of regular bread crumbs. There was no rice in the original recipe but I wanted to add brown rice to it and it was a great addition!
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole is a complete meal in itself – chicken, brown rice and broccoli – but a serving suggestion is to include a salad or perhaps another vegetable for a complete meal. If you don’t care for brown rice, use white rice or no rice at all! Individualize the recipe to fit your particular preferences! The next time I make this recipe I may add some almonds or water chestnuts for more crunch.
Another comfort food casserole I would recommend to you is Unforgettable Chicken Casserole – A Crunchy Delight.
If you want a hearty meal with a little taste of home, try Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole today! Ah, comfort food!
Remember to Savor the Flavor!
*If you’d like to receive new Silver Foodie posts automatically, please enter your e-mail address in the space under “Silver Foodie Updates” on the right sidebar, then click “Sign up.” Thank you!
For a list of Link Parties in which I participate weekly, please click on “Link Parties” on the header menu or scroll down the right sidebar.